What I've Learned About Life from My Dog and Why It's Important

What I've Learned About Life from My Dog and Why It's Important

Our son has been tirelessly advocating for our family to get a dog. Unfortunately, I must say that our strength is diminishing.

From a young age, I had a deep and abiding affection for dogs and a vivid memory of my own cherished childhood pals and the heartbreaking need for my very own canine companion. 
A dog would be a great addition to his family because he is an active kid who enjoys spending time outside and because there are no kids his age in the immediate area.

Still, I know deep down that now isn't the right time for me to welcome another canine into my life. I still miss my labrador Shamus very much, even though it has only been a year since she passed away. Many of my friends have advised me to replace my dog with a new one, but I feel it to be insensitive.

No one would recommend that I get pregnant again or look for a new husband if one of them were to pass away. In the same way that many people eventually remarry or have more children, I will add another dog to our family through adoption. 

However, I am not yet over my grief over losing Shamus. Clearly, she was a unique canine, and she played a significant role in my life. Read also: Taking Your Dog for a Walk

We relocated from New York to Kentucky with Shamus in the first year of our marriage, over a decade before our son was born.

She was the gentlest, most devoted pet ever, but then again, she was a lab, and we all know that's just how they are. My husband used to take her hunting when she was younger, and despite her sloth, she thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you want the complete solution to having an amazingly well behaved dog…

You should checkout my brain training for dogs course… Click here for details…

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

But I always thought that made her a great retriever since she never wasted a step! She was so eager to please (another lab trait) and so easy to teach that my husband even called her the best dog he'd ever had.

She grew weaker and had more and more health problems in her final years, but she never once complained or showed any sign of distress. Although I feared being forced to make a choice as we saw her deteriorate, she ultimately did so of her own accord.

Even after months of preparation, saying goodbye to her was incredibly painful. It hurt even more to realise that there is now one fewer kind soul and one fewer kind being in the world.

However, I still use the wisdom she instilled in me:

Here are the five most valuable lessons I picked up from my dog.

Being a pet owner may teach you a lot, from the moment your new companion enters your home until the moment you say your final goodbye. My dog was a greater person than I'll ever be in many respects.

Teach Ring Stackers 336 x 280 - Animated

Always keep in touch with your loved ones

Actually communicating with one another! I don't need to explain this to any pet owner. Humans don't physically interact nearly enough. 

Even though we lavish attention on our infants and new partners, there comes a time in every relationship when hugs and kisses are merely ritualistic farewells.

Dogs have an innate understanding that a kind word or pat on the head from a loved one may brighten even the darkest of days. Read also: Dog Foods You Should Avoid

They realise the power of sitting near enough to touch on a regular basis to ward off the chill of the night and appreciate the beauty and magic of a kiss (or lick) simply because they love you.

Second, you should never pass on a naptime.

While most of us probably won't be able to squeeze the 20 hours of sleep that dogs get into our daily routines, we could all use some time to ourselves to recharge.

Very few of us are receiving the recommended amount of sleep each night, and many of us are surviving on far less than that. Nothing good can come from this. If you want to relax like your dog, all you have to do is roll over and stick your tongue out. You have no idea how amazing it feels!

To a dog, sleep is more important than doing dishes or folding laundry, but not more important than eating. Allow yourself some time for relaxation, and you'll soon feel much better.

Thirdly, there's no point in being jealous.

It's reasonable that our dog would have an immediate negative reaction to our newborn. After all, she was still the "baby" after 11 years.

More than that, she had been at my side through the nine months of my pregnancy when I was quite sick and confined to the couch and bed.

Now, all of a sudden, there was hardly any time for bathing, walking, or hugging. There was another person who commanded our complete attention. Jealous? It wasn't our Shamus. 

Although we didn't allow her to get too close to the tiny screamer while we assessed the situation, an instant bond formed between the two.

Because she would come find us at the first sign of stirring and discomfort, she was far superior to any baby monitor we could have had. She was the best carer since she checked up on anyone who came near the baby and kept a watchful eye on him as he slept. 

Then, as the baby got older and more mobile, she exemplified the very definition of patience through all of his exploratory hair-gripping, lip-tugging, ear-pulling antics.

She enjoyed her roles as his protector, playmate, and furry walker.

The best toys can't be bought, but rather found.

Luxury squeaky toy? 

Discarded in a flash. Ball with knobs? 

Frustrated by the lack of progress while lost in the underbrush. Rubber skeleton? 

Tucked under the sofa. Is that a Frisbee you found on the side of the road? 

Used daily for play and stored neatly under the bed when not in use. a human being's palm? 

The potential for fun is infinite.

The lessons we learn about the value of presents from our dogs and our children are remarkably similar. No amount of money or fancy electronic toys can replace the gift of your time and interest.

Fifth, age is just a number.

Shamus has mobility issues due to arthritis and muscular atrophy, but she still enjoys a good wrestling match and will even romp for a while. Her inability to run around and play fetch for hours hasn't stopped her from wanting to be the center of attention and have as much fun as possible.

Humans have a tendency to forget that their need for play and community does not go away once they reach adulthood. No one is ever too old to have fun. We may have to change the game and the location, but none of us should be excluded from the fun because of our ages.